In response to the unfortunate passing of California’s harmful Physician-Assisted Suicide Law, we vow to strengthen our palliative care and other health care services for the chronically and terminally ill, so that no one we treat feels compelled to choose assisted suicide. Through our health care professionals and the care and compassion of all people of goodwill, we will continue to lovingly attend, accompany and care for the terminally ill on their final journey. (California Bishops, June 9, 2016)
The Whole Person Care Initiative is an initiative of the California Bishops which seeks to ensure that parishioners and patients are accompanied, loved and supported in their serious illness and end-of-life journey. To that end the Initiative will provide each Parish with tools, resources, guidance, trainings and other supports to implement Whole Person Care.
Whole Person Care Sunday (October 29, 2017)
- Whole Person Care Sunday Flyer (En Español)
- Whole Person Care Sunday Letter
- Whole Person Care Tips & Activities
- Whole Person Care Prayer Card
- Intercessory Prayers (En Español)
- Whole Person Care Homily Helper #1
- Whole Person Care Homily Helper #2
Share Flyers on End of Life Care
- Catholic End of Life Teachings (En Español) – CCC
- Frequently Asked Questions About End of Life – (En Español) – CCC
- Doctor Assisted Suicide Bulletin Insert (En Español) – USCCB
- US Bishop’s Statement on Euthanasia (En Español) – USCCB
- Legal Forms and Advance Health Care Directives – CCC
Some parishes visit the elderly of their parish or in nursing homes, bring sick parishioners communion, or drive the homebound to church. Other parishes schedule health fairs, offer information for parish nurses. And others help parishioners fill out their Advance Health Care Directives. Be creative! There are so many opportunities.
- Caring for Loved Ones (En Español) – USCCB
- End of Life Decisions Pastoral Guide (En Español) – CCC
- Prayers for the End of Life, (for renewed strength, for the sick, for the elderly, for those about to die, intercessions)
- TheConversationProject.org- The Conversation Project is a great way to involve parishioners in talking about their wishes at the end of life and to help adults fill out their Advance Health Care Directives. Download the Conversation Project Starter Kit in English / En Español
- A Catholic Guide to Critical End of Life Decisions: Advance Directives
- No One Dies Alone
Whole Person Care: Caring for the Sick and Dying is a parish workshop on appropriate end of life care. Discussion topics include Church teaching on end of life ethics, accessing quality palliative care, hospice care and advance healthcare directives, and pastoral care at the end of life.
Upcoming WPC Workshops
- February 24 / Advanced Health Care Planning Workshop/ Holy Trinity Parish, El Dorado
- March 10 / / WPC Workshop / Holy Cross Parish, West Sacramento
- March 17 / WPC Workshop / St. Isidore Parish, Yuba City
To schedule WPC Workshop at your parish for free, please email contact John Watkins at 916-733-0254 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health Ministry Support
Mercy Faith & Health Partnership encourages, supports and nurtures local faith communities of all denominations in the development and sustainability of health ministry programs that promote health, healing and wholeness. For more information, click here.
Join the Catholic Legislative Network
Sign up for the Catholic Legislative Network's email alerts so you can raise your voice for the life and dignity of the human person in the California legislature. Host a registration day at your parish and sign up parishioners to receive emails as well.