To advise the Bishop on matters pertaining to the needs of Catholics of African descent; to exchange information and promote effective communication among all Catholics, in particular, members of the Sacramento Diocese Black Catholic communities and the clergy within the diocese; to seek and propose ways for effectively meeting pastoral, social, and cultural issues relating to Catholics of African descent; and to strive for the evangelization of our faith communities, the unchurched, and the wider community.
Every Second Saturday of the Month
Gospel Masses are held every second Saturday of each month at 5pm in Kavanagh Hall, the northernmost building of St. Rose Parish, located at 5961 Franklin Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95824. Join us for a full meal reception after each Mass. Please feel free to bring a food or dessert item if you wish!
- 2019: November 9 (Black Catholic History Month Mass), December 14
- 2020: January 11, February 8 (Black History Month Mass), March 14, April 11 (Easter Vigil, Time TBA), May 9, June 13
*NEW* Every Second Sunday of the Month
Gospel Masses are also held every second Sunday of each month at 11:30am at St. Basil Church, located at 1200 Tuolumne St., Vallejo, CA 94590.
- 2019: November 10 (Black Catholic History Month Mass), December 15
- 2020: January 12, February 9 (Black History Month Mass), March 15, April 12 (Easter Sunday), May 10, June 14
Help promote the Gospel Mass
Join the Gospel Choir!
Singers, keyboardists to accompany our pianist, drummers, guitarists and bassists and other musicians are welcome to contribute to the expansion and development of our choir.
Practices are on the 1st and 4th Saturdays of each month in Boland Hall from 11am - 1pm (see our meeting description for the location). On the 2nd Saturday, we meet at 3pm before the 5pm Mass in Kavanagh Hall. There is some flexibility if you can't make all of the practices. Email email@example.com and write "Choir Interest" in the subject line if you'd like to know more.
Information and Registration
We encourage you to complete the form at least for census purposes, so that we can have a knowledge about our community in the Diocese. This will help us obtain funds and other support.
- If you have friends or relatives within the Diocese who have not completed this form, please encourage them to complete the form. We are often asked for community statistics and so we need compiled to share.
- If you do not want to register as a member, but only wish to complete the census, please click here.
- Please complete this registration form to stay informed. Also, please consider getting involved – we need your help to make these good goals become a reality!
Thank you for helping the BCM get to know and serve you better!
Goals of the BCM
- ✓ Bring an African American Priest to Sacramento
- Establish a Black Catholic Spiritual Center
- ✓ Have regularly scheduled Masses with a Gospel choir
- Increase the African American Catholic presence in the Diocese
- Host more Black Catholic Cultural and Social events
- Increase Black youth and family involvement
Meetings of the BCM
BCM meets every 1st Saturday of the month, 9:45am - 10:45am. There is an optional prayer meeting beginning at 9:30am.
St. Rose of Lima Parish - Boland Hall
5961 Franklin Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95824
Go to the parking lot to the right of Kavanagh Hall (the large, northernmost building). To the right of the lot is the side of the gym. Enter through the gate of the black steel fence to the left of the gym and then enter the building to the immediate left of the gate.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 916-720-9025 for more information.