Every April, Catholic parishes and schools across the United States participate in National Child Abuse Prevention Month. While dioceses work year-round to prevent abuse, during this month a special emphasis is placed on the importance of learning how to protect the vulnerable from this evil.
Together, for the next nine days, let’s pray that the vulnerable are protected from abuse, and that survivors of abuse may be accompanied on their paths to healing.
- Day 1: May the most vulnerable be protected from all types of abuse and exploitation.
- Day 2: May those who have been sexually abused receive comfort and healing.
- Day 3: May those who work with children and young people be vigilant in protecting them from harm.
- Day 4: May those who provide help for the abused act with wisdom and compassion in their healing ministries.
- Day 5: May all families strive to provide safe and nurturing environments for children and young people.
- Day 6: May all those who have committed abuse acknowledge the harm they have done, repent, and accept justice that ultimately comes from God.
- Day 7: May those who have been abused receive the courage to tell their story, and may they be believed and supported.
- Day 8: May Church leaders, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, promote justice and healing for survivors of abuse.
- Day 9: May our Holy Father, Pope Francis, fulfill his role as good shepherd and protect the most vulnerable in his flock.
Our Father, 3 Hail Marys, Glory Be, Prayer for Healing
Prayer for Healing
God of endless love,
ever caring, ever strong,
always present, always just:
You gave your only Son
to save us by his blood on the cross.
Gentle Jesus, shepherd of peace,
join to your own suffering
the pain of all who have been hurt
in body, mind, and spirit
by those who betrayed the trust placed in them.
Hear the cries of our brothers and sisters
who have been gravely harmed,
and the cries of those who love them.
Soothe their restless hearts with hope,
steady their shaken spirits with faith.
Grant them justice for their cause,
enlightened by your truth.
Holy Spirit, comforter of hearts,
heal your people’s wounds
and transform brokenness into wholeness.
Grant us the courage and wisdom,
humility and grace, to act with justice.
Breathe wisdom into our prayers and labors.
Grant that all harmed by abuse may find peace in justice.
We ask this through Christ, our Lord. Amen.